Your Care Manager
Your AmeriHealth Caritas Iowa care manager is your main health care contact. You should call your care manager if you have questions about your health care services. Your care manager will work with you to make sure you have everything you need to make good choices about your health care. They will help you get the right kind of long-term services and supports in the right setting.
What your care manager will do for you
Your care manager will:
- Give you information about AmeriHealth Caritas Iowa and answer your questions.
- Work with you to make sure you have all the information you need to make good choices about your health care.
- Help you get the right kind of long-term services and supports in the right setting.
- Coordinate all of your physical, mental and long-term services and supports needs.
- Help solve issues that you have about your care.
- Make sure that your care plan is carried out and works for you.
- Be aware of your needs as they change. They will update your care plan to make sure the services you get are right for you.
- Talk with your providers to make sure they are informed about your health care and to coordinate your services.
If you receive nursing facility care, your care manager will:
- Be part of the care planning process with the nursing facility where you live.
- Perform any additional needs assessment that may be helpful in managing your health.
- Add to the nursing facility’s care plan if there are things AmeriHealth Caritas Iowa can do to help manage health problems or coordinate other kinds of physical and mental health care you need.
- Coordinate with the nursing facility when you need services the nursing facility isn’t responsible for providing.
- Conduct face-to-face visits at least every 6 months.
- Check at least 1 time a year to make sure that you continue to need the level of care provided in a nursing facility.
Integrated health care management
Your care manager can help you manage your physical and/or behavioral health care needs. They can help you:
- Get to your medical and/or behavioral health appointments.
- Get the medical and/or behavioral health support services you need.
- Learn more about your health conditions.
- Get the medicine your doctor has ordered for you.
- Find helpful resources.
Changing care managers
- If you are unhappy with your care manager, you can ask for a new one. We will then assign you a new care manager if one is available.
- Your new care manager will best fit your needs. If we cannot assign you a new care manager, we will tell you why. We will also try to help with the problems you have with your current case manager.