Using Your Primary Care Provider (PCP)
Your primary care provider is your medical home
When you first joined AmeriHealth Caritas Iowa, you should have picked or been assigned to a primary care provider (PCP).
Your PCP is the provider you see often for exams and checkups. Their office is your medical home. At your medical home, your PCP will help you stay healthy. Here, you will get services and health advice.
How to get care from your PCP
Call your PCP's office to set up an appointment. If you need help setting an appointment, you can call Member Services at 1-855-332-2440 (TTY: 1-844-214-2471) 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
You can call your PCP for medical problems 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. There is no limit to how many times you can visit or call your PCP.
Do you have questions about your health but can't get ahold of your PCP? Our nurses can help. Call the 24/7 Nurse Call Line at 1-855-216-6065.
At your appointment
It is important to be on time for your appointment. If you are going to be late or need to cancel your appointment, call the PCP's office and let the office know. If you need to reschedule, try to let the PCP's office know at least 24 hours before the appointment.
At your visit your PCP may:
- Learn your health history and keep your records up to date.
- Answer questions about your health.
- Give you information about healthy eating and diet.
- Give you the shots and screenings you need.
- Help you get care from other providers, if you need it.
- Find problems before they become serious.
- Give Early and Periodic Screening, Diagnosis and Treatment (EPSDT) services for members 20 years old and younger.
- Give preventive treatment for conditions like diabetes, high blood pressure, asthma and heart disease.
Listen carefully to any directions the PCP gives you. If there is something you do not understand, ask for help.
We can help you pick a PCP or setting up an appointment. Call Member Services at 1-855-332-2440 (TTY: 1-844-214-2471) 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.